Saturday, August 7, 2010

Plant & Lizards..another AWESOME week!

Well...the first week of AWESOME AUGUST had been..well awesome! I definately can't complain and I'm looking forward to the rest of this awesome month! Its been so nice to be back in site, being able to get back into the swing of things, and of course visiting everyone around town!

So on the garden front, I successfully planted 4 (count um!) gardens this week, including one exciting planting of sandia (watermelon) inwhich we litterly ate the watermelon, removed the seeds and planted them into the ground. Who actually knows if the seeds will grow (specially since you are supposed to use a mature fruit), but it was an absolutely a blast to devoure the watermelon and then plant the seeds! But atleast I can hope! On the plant front, I finally have GROWING PLANTS!!!!!!! :) I was so pumped when I showed up to one of my schools this week and the sub-director was like..guess what there are plants growing in the garden! I RAN to the garden and was super excited to find 3 beautiful pipian plants (a type of squash) and a bunch of melon (cantalope) plants growing. YAY! I'm finally not a garden failure and this recent success have given me tons of motivation to keep the gardens going and GROWING! :)

Otherwise, life in the LPC is exciting as always. It was so great being back in town and visiting with everyone again..I've missed so many people. I spent a morning at my host families house catching up and while I was there my 6 year old host brother came home from school. Now, I absolutely LOVE this kid...his name is Diego and he always makes me smile! So he comes running into the house screaming ELYSE..and then proceeds to show me a very live baby lizard that him, his other brother and friend caught on thier way home from school! They wanted to keep it as a pet so we spent the next 15 minutes trying to create a home for this lizard. Pretty much we punched some holes in a plastic bottle, shoved some leaves in and then the lizard. Afterwards, my other host brother, Ricardo, took the bottle (and the lizard) outside and I was like don't put in the sun..and as I was leaving I hear my host mom yelling...DON'T PUT IT IN THE SUN!! You'll kill it! oh, so much fun!!

Yeah, so life is AWESOME!! And i can't wait for another great week or to enjoy this nutella crepe I just got served in this great cafe in Matagalpa. Can't seem to complain about life!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey U!!! I'm so happy that you are blogging once again!! I love hearing your crazy stories about your life in Nica! I'll be writing to you soon! Classes start on the 23rd and I might have time then. But until then, have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Elyse,

    I am an RPCV from Mali. I am trying to reach out to local agricultural NGOs for a small grant program that we are developing at Horticulture CRSP. This grant program will connect NGOs in the developing world to horticultural graduate students in the US. It will fund honoraria for grad students and salaries and transportation costs for the NGOs. Together they will extend new ideas from US universities to developing-world farmers.

    Could you please email me if you know of any NGOs in Nicaragua that would be interested in this opportunity or if you know of any volunteers who work with Ag. NGOs? Or could you send me you APCD's email?

    I would really appreciate any help you can offer.

    Thank you,

    Peter Shapland
    pcshapland@ucdavis.edu
    Graduate Assistant
    Horticulture CRSP
    www.hortcrsp.ucdavis.edu

    ReplyDelete