Friday, October 2, 2009

The interesting culture of Nica.....

I've officially been in Nicaragua for a full month!!! Its absolutely crazy and i completely feel like i've been here for a really long time...yet the time seems to be flying by! Its crazy to think I've been here for a month!!

Well, rather than boring you all with stories of training [class, class class!!] I decided to write a little bit about my cultural adjustments to Nica life!

Here in Nicaragua toilet paper is not flushed down the toilet...i'm guessing alot of this is due to undeveloped septic systems and what not. Anyway, I have become completely successful at throwing my toilet paper in the trashcan. It was kinda of hard at first..I mean you go your entire life just throwing it in the toilet. And then wham..you have to switch! But i'm happy to say I have become completely sucessful at throwing my toilet paper in the trashcan!! YAY!

In Nicarauga, you say "Adios" to people as you walk by them on the streets. It was extremely odd to me at the first since in the US we always say "Hi". But I'm slowly adjusting. I still say "Hola" sometimes but its getting easier and eaiser to just throw in an "Adios" as I walk past the people in town. Also, in Nicaragua...they don't use thier "s" so my Adios is acutally "Adio" :) But i love how friendly people here are. The tortilla lady walks by our house and chats for a few minutes..asking about how our days are...Its such a nice welcoming culture!

However, my toughest culture adaptation so far is the difference in manners. We in the US are obssesed with Please, Thank You, and Your Welcome. I never realized it until I arrived here in Nicaragua. I seem to say "Gracias" way more than I need to...becuase its what is acceptable in the States. I say it when my mom brings me food, at the end of meals, when she washes my clothes...all the time..becuase I am thankful! Shes an awesome host mom and justs helps me so much! But I feel like I might just be saying "Thank You" more than normal in the Nicaraugan culture. So its my goal to work on....expressing my thankfulness without going to overboard.

Anyway, I have volunteer visit this week and I am SO SO SO EXCITED!! I'm going to C hontales which is further south..and a little more east! Its going to be great to finally be seeing volunteers in action!! :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Im Nicaraguense, and all you say is true, except for the Thank You part.... that all dependes on the familly people grew up in, Im from Granada and my whole familly says thakyou alot too... that just depends where you are, and thats why U might feel you say thankyou too much.

    Have a Great Time in Nicaragua!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: and Thanyou very much for liking our culture :D

    ReplyDelete