Thursday, September 10, 2009




Yesterday was my one week aniversary of my arrival in Nicaragua!!! However, its seriously feels like it has been weeks and weeks....a lot due to the events over the past few days!! :)

Last Friday, our entire group left Mangua [Capital of Nica] to head to our training sites. All of the environmental volunteers are training around Mesetepe [in Masaya] and I live in a small farming town that is the suburb of a suburb. But I LOVE my little town and my host family is super nice. I have a host mom, a host sister who is 12 and two host brothers [14 & 22]. Additionally, my entire extended family lives really close to me and we have a continual flow of cousins [who are super cute] and aunts and uncles through my house! Its super fun! On Sunday, my family took myself and one of the other Aspirantes Robert to Catarina. Which is an awesome little town and overlooks a volcanic lake. It was absolutely beautiful. I seriously can't describe it!! I can't wait to go back and take more pictures. When I went last week I didn't realize how pretty it was....my host sister told me there was just lots of shopping! :)

Monday was the start of Spanish class. Its amazing how quickly my Spanish was improving!! We have 6 formal hours of Spanish class. From 8-noon in the morning which is more class-like and is based on vocab and practicing speaking. Then we have an hour for lunch. Class resumes at 1 and goes until 3. This part of Spanish is more focused on activities within our training towns. Finally, we have an additional 2 hours with our host families inwhich we are practiticing and such. I have a lot to learn...but I was picking it up pretty fast!!

However...currently I am back in Managua and staying at a hotel. Several people in our group are sick and the Peace Corps is observing 4 of us to ensure we also aren't sick. However, I absolutely can't wait to return to my training site and get back into the swing of things!

Along with this post are 2 photos from Nica. One is the entire Nica 51 group [we are the 51st training class to enter Nica since 1991 (i think)] and the other is of the Environment sector of Nica 51. There are 20 enivronmental trainees and 19 TEFL trainees!!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds wonderful! Are you only at the hotel for them to observe you or are there other reasons? Have you done any crafting with this continuous flow of cousins?

    Glad you're loving it!

    ReplyDelete